PLEASE NOTE: Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions and precautions, EMACT has temporarily suspended the in-person DASH Program through the 2020-21 Season. Companies may still join EMACT at the Basic Membership level to receive all the education and networking benefits that EMACT offers.
What is DASH?
DASH (Distinguished Achievement and Special Honors) is a year-end awards program sponsored by EMACT as a way of recognizing outstanding performance and production values as displayed by its member groups during the theater season.
- The DASH 'year' runs from July 1 - June 30.
- EMACT member groups submit their productions to a panel of experienced theater Consultants, two of whom (randomly assigned) will then score them in performance and design categories. Each Consultant's scoring comprises 50% of the total score in each category.
- Consultants coordinate with the producing company to attend a performance. The producing company is required to provide each Consultant two complimentary tickets for the performance of their choice.
- Scores tabulated at the end of the season identify the top 3-6 entries in each category as nominees for the season, which are announced in July. The top score is then awarded the "DASH" at our Annual Gala in August.
- Participation in the DASH program does NOT guarantee receipt of any nominations or awards.
What is new for the 2021-22 Season?
In 2020, EMACT surveyed its members about the current state of the DASH program, and received extensive feedback which has informed a number of important changes to the Program. These changes will go into effect for the 2021-22 Season starting on July 1, 2021.
- We have decided to eliminate the "DASH Plus" membership level and instead, every group that submits a production to DASH will receive written comments from the DASH Consultants who attended the production.
- These comments will be sent to and available for the entire production team.
- A post-DASH survey will be sent to the member group's provided contact and members of the production team.
- All shows will be randomly assigned to Consultants, and the Consultant names and contact numbers will be provided to the submitting group.
- EMACT has created a DASH Review Team, which will annually assess our Consultants on: writing quality; consistency of the writing to the ballot; quality of feedback given to the group
- There will be one payment structure for DASH, replacing the Basic, Enhanced, and Enhanced Plus levels of Membership. (Details will be posted soon!)
Copyright © 2021 Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theaters